Bay Area Traffic
Report: Solo drivers may be allowed in carpool lanes
One day very soon you may be able to use Bay Area carpool lanes without having passengers in your car. But, it's going to cost you.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that transportation officials are serious about creating 550 miles of a network of carpool toll lanes, known as express lanes. Solo drivers would be allowed to use the express lanes for a fee. By the end of 2015, solo drivers would be able to buy their way into express lanes on Interstates 80, 680 and 880 and the East Bay approaches to the San Mateo and Dumbarton bridges.
Transportation officials still need to conduct studies, but they say it is an idea worth pursuing.
milpitas, I-80, I-680, I-880, dumbarton bridge, san mateo bridge, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 22 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday