Bay Area Traffic
Report: Solo drivers may be allowed in carpool lanes
One day very soon you may be able to use Bay Area carpool lanes without having passengers in your car. But, it's going to cost you.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that transportation officials are serious about creating 550 miles of a network of carpool toll lanes, known as express lanes. Solo drivers would be allowed to use the express lanes for a fee. By the end of 2015, solo drivers would be able to buy their way into express lanes on Interstates 80, 680 and 880 and the East Bay approaches to the San Mateo and Dumbarton bridges.
Transportation officials still need to conduct studies, but they say it is an idea worth pursuing.
milpitas, I-80, I-680, I-880, dumbarton bridge, san mateo bridge, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday