Bay Area Traffic
Census: Bay Area tops 'mega-commuter' list
The Bay Area has a new distinction, but it's nothing to be proud of. The commute can be so bad, there's a new name for it: "mega-commuters."
Bay Area drivers have the worst of the worst commutes in America, according to new Census Bureau statistics. A "mega-commuter" is a worker who spends at least 90 minutes, plus 50 miles to get to the office in the morning. "Mega commuters" exist across the country -- there are about 587,000 of them, but the highest percentage are in the Bay Area.
Drivers in the Bay Area are four-times more likely than the average American worker to be a "mega-commuter."
Here's the good news: if you're not already a mega commuter, you're not likely to become one. The Census Bureau did this same study in 2000 and even though the commute sounds awful -- it hasn't changed.
"The percentage of workers who took 90 minutes or longer to get to work--and that's a pretty long time one-way -- in the year 2000 was right between 2 and 3 percent of all workers, and that's actually stayed about the same, according to our most recent data," said Brian McKenzie of the U.S. Census Bureau.
For those who aren't mega-commuters, but are just regular Bay Area drivers, Bay Area commute times apparently aren't that bad; the average one-way commute time in 2011 was 24.7 minutes in Santa Clara county, 27.8 minutes in Oakland and 29.6 minutes in San Francisco.
driving, bay area traffic
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits 29 min ago
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting 28 min ago
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- 7OYS helps woman get refund after misleading ad
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to...
28 min ago
- Growers protect crops from freezing temps
1 min ago