Bay Area Traffic
Census: Bay Area tops 'mega-commuter' list
The Bay Area has a new distinction, but it's nothing to be proud of. The commute can be so bad, there's a new name for it: "mega-commuters."
Bay Area drivers have the worst of the worst commutes in America, according to new Census Bureau statistics. A "mega-commuter" is a worker who spends at least 90 minutes, plus 50 miles to get to the office in the morning. "Mega commuters" exist across the country -- there are about 587,000 of them, but the highest percentage are in the Bay Area.
Drivers in the Bay Area are four-times more likely than the average American worker to be a "mega-commuter."
Here's the good news: if you're not already a mega commuter, you're not likely to become one. The Census Bureau did this same study in 2000 and even though the commute sounds awful -- it hasn't changed.
"The percentage of workers who took 90 minutes or longer to get to work--and that's a pretty long time one-way -- in the year 2000 was right between 2 and 3 percent of all workers, and that's actually stayed about the same, according to our most recent data," said Brian McKenzie of the U.S. Census Bureau.
For those who aren't mega-commuters, but are just regular Bay Area drivers, Bay Area commute times apparently aren't that bad; the average one-way commute time in 2011 was 24.7 minutes in Santa Clara county, 27.8 minutes in Oakland and 29.6 minutes in San Francisco.
driving, bay area traffic
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind 7 min ago
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
59 min ago