Bay Area Traffic
BART's second 'bikes on board' program starts Monday
BART officials are reminding the public that a one-week pilot program will kick off on Monday to test the feasibility of allowing bikes on trains during peak commute hours.
Next week, Monday through Friday, bikes will be allowed on all trains all day at all stations, BART spokeswoman Luna Salaver said. Cyclists will be asked not to use the first three cars of any train.
Under BART's current rules, bikes are not allowed on most trains during commute hours. During non-peak hours, bikes can be brought on trains but not in the first car.
Bicyclists are barred from entering crowded train cars, including during the pilot program.
Next week's trial period follows an earlier one-month pilot program in August, in which bikes were allowed on all trains but only on Fridays. That first pilot program brought divided reviews, Salaver said.
About 37 percent of those who responded to a survey afterward gave positive feedback, while another 37 percent disliked having more bikes on BART, she said.
After the second pilot program, BART will ask everyone -- bike riders and other passengers alike -- to take part in another survey on BART's website.
"This time, we get the whole week experience," Salaver said. "We need feedback from all parties."
Based on the results of the second pilot, a proposal for permanent changes to BART's bike policy may go before the BART board.
BART Board President Tom Radulovich and representatives of Bay Area cycling communities were scheduled to discuss the pilot program at a news conference this morning.
Peak hours are from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
BART, transportation, bikes, bay area traffic
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue 26 min ago
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day
- Woman distracted by FB on phone falls off pier 14 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 46 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
47 min ago
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY...
26 min ago