Bay Area Traffic
Man on top of BART train in Oakland delays trains
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A man was arrested for walking on the tracks and climbing on top of a train near the MacArthur BART station in Oakland this morning.
It took 18 officers two hours to arrest the man while he was standing on top of a BART train.
"This guy was jumping on top of the train, it was just crazy," said BART passenger Andrew Ly.
BART passengers sitting on the train didn't know at first why they had stopped, then they realized something was happening on the roof.
"Then we started to hear some footsteps running around on the roof and then they started briefing us every few minutes about what was happening," said Ly.
Police said he first climbed up on to the roof of the platform and waved at BART riders at 5:30 a.m.. He was also throwing gravel from the roof down to passengers. When BART police were called he started to move.
"He was jumping from the roof and then onto Hwy 980, back onto the track, he was on top of a train," said BART spokesperson Alicia Trost.
Officials had to shut down the freeway and shutoff BART's third rail which caused huge delays.
"I was sitting on the train for 40 minutes at the Pleasant Hill BART station," said BART passenger Frances Davis of Martinez.
It wasn't until 7:15 a.m., about two hours after the first call came in, that they arrested him. Officials say he wasn't hostile to police, but he wasn't cooperating.
"I do know that we have had contact with him in the past and he has had psych evaluations," said Trost.
Passengers were calm and patient during the ordeal.
"We are all here. We are all late for work, but we're safe and that is all that matters," said Ly.
BART police have not released the man's name. He is 29-years-old and has a warrant out for his arrest for a dangerous drug charge. He is being given a psychiatric evaluation and then he will be taken to jail.
BART, oakland, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire 39 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos