Bay Area Traffic
Loose railing issue fixed on new Bay Bridge bike path
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Caltrans officials are reassuring the public that a possible loose railing issue with the bike path of the new Bay Bridge has been fixed.
Caps were welded onto bolts that would have made a protective railing loose on the path. Caltrans has already fixed the problem and emphasized that it was not a faulty bolt problem, but human error that caused the issue.
"We don't know who exactly was doing the work, but again on a project of this scope and scale, something this massive, you are going to run into challenges from time to time. But the whole point of having a very robust quality assurance, quality control process is to catch these things in the field. There is not live traffic on the bike path and there is not live traffic on the bridge. We are catching all of these issues in the field during construction, fixing them and making sure the bridge is 100 percent safe before it opens to the public," said Caltrans spokesperson Andrew Gordon.
The caps have been removed and the bolts have been replaced on the bike path.
Caltrans is still working on the repair for the bolts on the driving portion of the new Bay Bridge. They will not be able to announce today if the bridge will make its Labor Day opening.
bay bridge, labor day, earthquake, caltrans, metropolitan transportation commission, bay area traffic, amy hollyfield
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 46 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
38 min ago