Bay Area Traffic
Major trash cleanup effort on Bay Area highways
A massive litter cleanup is under way today on highways throughout the Bay Area, a Caltrans spokesman said.
Caltrans and California Highway Patrol crews will be at four locations picking up trash as part of the 10th annual Litter Cleanup and Enforcement Day, Caltrans spokesman Adam Priest said.
A total of roughly 40 crewmembers will participate in the cleanup, which is a way to let Bay Area residents know that trash buildup on highways "is an issue that we need to bring attention to," Priest said.
In San Jose, the cleanup was scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. along U.S. Highway 101. Crews are picking up trash between Interstate Highway 280 and state Highway 237.
A second cleanup is taking place throughout the morning farther north on Highway 101, between the Sierra Point Parkway exit in Brisbane and the Candlestick Park exit in San Francisco.
In the Oakland-Alameda area, crews are removing litter from Doolittle Drive between Hegenberger Road and Island Drive.
The final cleanup is taking place in Marin County on Highway 101 between Tiburon Boulevard and Tamalpais Drive in Corte Madera, and over the Alto Hill, Priest said.
Priest said that in addition to the annual one-day event, smaller cleanups are done quarterly.
Anyone who wants to help remove litter from highways can do so through Caltrans' Adopt-a-Highway program. More information about the program can be found at www.dot.ca.gov.
caltrans, CHP, I-280, highway 101, highway 237, san jose, brisbane, candlestick park, marin county, corte madera, alameda, oakland, bay area traffic
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced 45 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student 44 min ago
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Vernon's View: "When we play them it's...
2 min ago
- Trial begins in Montana newlywed murder case
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos