Bay Area Traffic
AC Transit talks will resume on Wednesday
Ongoing contract talks between AC Transit's management and the union that represents its bus operators and mechanics recessed Tuesday without an agreement but will resume on Wednesday, a management spokesman said.
Union leaders weren't immediately available for comment.
The contract for employees represented by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 192 expired at midnight Sunday but union leaders have agreed to temporarily extend the contract while negotiations continue.
Bus agency spokesman Clarence Johnson said in a statement, "The ongoing negotiations are a signal that operators will be on the job Wednesday providing bus service as usual."
Johnson said, "Reportedly, there has been some slight progress in the negotiations over the past few days as both sides have altered their stances, if but modestly."
He said, "AC Transit management, in an effort to avoid a service disruption and keep negotiations on track, is proposing pay increases to the ATU employees along with some modification to current work rules and practices that will aid the district in efficiency and sustainability."
Earlier today, ATU Local 192 said in a statement, "We are at the table and bargaining, but our members will not support going backwards."
The union said management negotiators "need to bargain a fair contract that moves things forward, not backward."
ATU Local 192 represents 1,760 bus drivers, mechanics, dispatchers, clerical and other workers.
The bus agency serves parts of Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
The union has said it will give 24 hours' notice before going on strike.
strike, ac transit, BART, unions, bay area traffic
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 37 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl 24 min ago
- New option studied for treating back pain 9 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- New option studied for treating back pain
9 min ago