-
No progress in BART talks; 60 day cooling off begins
-
BART strike averted; Judge grants cooling off period
-
Talks continue after judge grants cooling off period
-
Hearing set on BART strike injunction
-
BART, unions return to bargaining table
-
BART negotiators break for the night, still work on deal
-
Governor will seek cooling off period BART talks fail
-
Talks resume as second BART strike threat looms
-
BART, unions could be forced into cooling off period
-
Contract negotiations resume between BART, unions
-
BART official: Unions, BART $100 million apart
OAKLAND, Calif. -- BART negotiations between management and two worker unions ended Sunday evening with little progress, but trains will be running today after a San Francisco Superior Court judge ordered a 60-day cooling off period.
SEIU Local 1021 spokesman Des Patten said talks with BART management "didn't make much in the way of progress" after ending around 7 p.m. and that bargaining will be held off for a few days.
He said the two sides will resume talks toward the end of the week.
"We're taking a couple of days off," Patten said. "We've been working continuously everyday."
Management issued a statement following Sunday's negotiations.
ART officials said the "latest attempt to reach a fair contract went unanswered tonight as the unions walked out of negotiations without responding to the current (management) proposal, despite the fact BART increased its wages and benefits offer" since last week.
Patten said the unions are hopeful that the labor dispute will be resolved before the end of the governor's requested cooling off period.
Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday filed a petition requesting the court order, which prevents a strike and also prevents the transit district from locking out its workers any time before midnight on Oct. 10.
Sunday morning, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Curtis Karnow ordered the cooling off period at a special hearing after finding that a strike would significantly disrupt public transportation services and endanger the public.
Contract negotiations resumed Sunday afternoon at Caltrans headquarters in Oakland around 1 p.m., BART spokesman Rick Rice said.
The two unions representing BART workers, the Service Employees International Union Local 1021 and the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555, had threatened to strike again over issues including wages and health care and pension contributions.
The SEIU represents 1,430 BART mechanics, custodians and clerical workers and the ATU represents 945 station managers.
BART trains have been running since a four-day strike ended on July 5.
If no agreement is reached before the end of the 60-day cooling off period, workers will then have the right to strike at any time.
BART strike, oakland, BART, unions, SEIU, strike, traffic, transportation, jerry brown, dianne feinstein, barbara boxer, bay area traffic
- Police ID body found near Vacaville as Sandra Coke
- Officials to announce Bay Bridge opening date 8 min ago
- Bay Area group marching for immigration reform
- Woman's body found in East Palo Alto apartment
- Sunnyvale woman found slain in home identified
- Oakland Unified board to consider selling properties
- Local woman claims app didn't help get iPhone back
- J.C. Penney under fire for back-to-school television ad
- California paternity-rights bill on hold
- Antioch boy mauled by pit bull may undergo surgery
- Couple seeking owners of lost puppy found in SF Bay
- abcnews: Mystery priest at Missouri car accident...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: SF drug bust; Body found on I-880 ramp
1.

- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
46 min ago
3.

- Officials to announce Bay Bridge opening date
8 min ago
- abc7news.com home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., KGO-TV San Francisco, CA. All Rights Reserved.


