Bay Area Traffic
Lucky troll removed from Bay Bridge's old eastern span
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Caltrans is assuring everyone that the lucky troll on the old Bay Bridge will have a spot on the new one.
Ironworker James Sturgeon carefully removed the troll from the original eastern span on Friday. He wants to make sure the troll sticks around.
"It's an ironworker icon," Sturgeon said. "Our local installed it 24 years ago. And I'm part of that local. I work at 278, rock on. And, you know, I believe it needs to go on to the new bridge or possibly in a museum in a safe spot."
The figure was installed after the 1989 earthquake. The ironworkers say it's a protection against natural disasters.
bay bridge, earthquake, oakland, traffic, construction, caltrans, metropolitan transportation commission, labor day, transportation, bikes, fastrak, CHP, san francisco bay, bay area traffic
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for today 27 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos