Bay Area Traffic
Lucky troll removed from Bay Bridge's old eastern span
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Caltrans is assuring everyone that the lucky troll on the old Bay Bridge will have a spot on the new one.
Ironworker James Sturgeon carefully removed the troll from the original eastern span on Friday. He wants to make sure the troll sticks around.
"It's an ironworker icon," Sturgeon said. "Our local installed it 24 years ago. And I'm part of that local. I work at 278, rock on. And, you know, I believe it needs to go on to the new bridge or possibly in a museum in a safe spot."
The figure was installed after the 1989 earthquake. The ironworkers say it's a protection against natural disasters.
bay bridge, earthquake, oakland, traffic, construction, caltrans, metropolitan transportation commission, labor day, transportation, bikes, fastrak, CHP, san francisco bay, bay area traffic
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Female victim shot near Lake Merritt Friday morning
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 39 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos