Bay Area Traffic
Lucky troll removed from Bay Bridge's old eastern span
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Caltrans is assuring everyone that the lucky troll on the old Bay Bridge will have a spot on the new one.
Ironworker James Sturgeon carefully removed the troll from the original eastern span on Friday. He wants to make sure the troll sticks around.
"It's an ironworker icon," Sturgeon said. "Our local installed it 24 years ago. And I'm part of that local. I work at 278, rock on. And, you know, I believe it needs to go on to the new bridge or possibly in a museum in a safe spot."
The figure was installed after the 1989 earthquake. The ironworkers say it's a protection against natural disasters.
bay bridge, earthquake, oakland, traffic, construction, caltrans, metropolitan transportation commission, labor day, transportation, bikes, fastrak, CHP, san francisco bay, bay area traffic
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court 48 min ago
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying
- SF Mayor pledges to fix public housing elevators 5 min ago
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear...
48 min ago
- SF Mayor pledges to fix public housing...
5 min ago