Bay Area Traffic
Lucky troll removed from Bay Bridge's old eastern span
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Caltrans is assuring everyone that the lucky troll on the old Bay Bridge will have a spot on the new one.
Ironworker James Sturgeon carefully removed the troll from the original eastern span on Friday. He wants to make sure the troll sticks around.
"It's an ironworker icon," Sturgeon said. "Our local installed it 24 years ago. And I'm part of that local. I work at 278, rock on. And, you know, I believe it needs to go on to the new bridge or possibly in a museum in a safe spot."
The figure was installed after the 1989 earthquake. The ironworkers say it's a protection against natural disasters.
bay bridge, earthquake, oakland, traffic, construction, caltrans, metropolitan transportation commission, labor day, transportation, bikes, fastrak, CHP, san francisco bay, bay area traffic
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 39 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 36 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos