Bay Area Traffic
New troll made for new Bay Bridge
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Bridge will have a protector made just for the new span.
Caltrans tweeted a photo of a new troll. The troll has an ironworking hammer in its right hand and a tong in its left.
The old troll made a cameo during Monday's opening ceremonies for the new bridge. The bridge spokesman tells us it will go into the bridge museum that's being built near the toll plaza.
Officials also are not saying where the new troll is being placed.
Ironworkers put the old troll on the bridge when they replaced the section that collapsed in the 1989, Loma Prieta earthquake. They say it protected the bridge from additional natural disasters.
bay bridge, earthquake, oakland, traffic, construction, caltrans, metropolitan transportation commission, labor day, transportation, bikes, fastrak, CHP, san francisco bay, bay area traffic
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 18 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 13 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 52 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday