Bay Area Traffic
AC Transit union issues 72-hour strike notice
A union representing AC Transit employees has issued a 72-hour strike notice, a transit agency spokesman confirmed this evening.
Leaders of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 192, which represents about 1,800 bus drivers, mechanics, dispatchers, clerical and other workers, have said they will strike as of 12:01 a.m. Thursday if a new contract deal is not reached, AC Transit spokesman Clarence Johnson said.
AC Transit is reviewing the strike notice and will make a determination on what steps to take next, Johnson said.
The announcement follows a vote on Oct. 2 in which AC Transit employees rejected by a margin of 561 to 369 management's offer of a 9.5 percent pay increase over three years.
The employees' vote rejecting the contract marked the second time they voted down a tentative agreement. On Aug. 17, members voted by a margin of 576 to 257 against a tentative agreement that had been reached earlier that month.
ac transit, unions, strike, bay area traffic
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 49 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 49 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 37 min ago
- Footage examined to ID two with stolen...
24 min ago