Bay Area Traffic
DUI investigation after worker fatally struck on I-680
MILPITAS, Calif. (KGO) -- The CHP is at the scene of a fatal accident on I-680 in Milpitas. One northbound lane is still blocked on I-680, just south of Scott Creek Road.
The accident happened at about 2:40 this morning. Police say the driver of a silver Nissan went off the road and on to the freeway's shoulder hitting two workers contracted with Caltrans while they were out of their truck picking up a road construction sign. One worker died at the scene, the other was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. They were working for a company called Statewide Traffic Safety and Signs based in Fairfield.
The driver of the Nissan had to be pulled from the wreckage by firefighters. He was taken to the hospital with life threatening injuries. The CHP says he has stabilized and has major injuries. A limited field sobriety test was done and officers determined alcohol was a factor. Because of that, this is now a crime scene. A much more thorough investigation must be done and that means the lane here will be blocked off until it's completed.
milpitas, CHP, traffic, caltrans, DUI, bay area traffic, matt keller
- SFFD continues to monitor 5-alarm fire in Mission Bay 24 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos