Bay Area Traffic
Drivers flee as car fire fills Caldecott Tunnel with smoke
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- It was a frightening morning commute for drivers on Highway 24 Friday when a car fire inside one bore of the Caldecott Tunnel prompted dozens of drivers to abandon their cars inside and walk out in heavy smoke.
"We started to notice really, really thick smoke and strong smell like burning rubber," motorist Kevin Watkins said.
Two-thirds of the way through the Caldecott Tunnel when it started to fill with smoke and people stopped and started jumping out of their cars.
"It was hard to breathe," Watkins said. "I did not have a scarf or anything, but I did put my shirt up over my face. Other people had scarves wrapped around their some people had masks, like dust protector masks."
"Officers and fire department responded to the scene to find a vehicle fully engulfed and the tunnel filled with smoke," California Highway Patrol Ofc. Daniel Hill said. "We calmly cleared everybody out of their vehicles and out of the tunnel."
Eight people were transported to area hospitals to be checked for possible smoke inhalation but there were no serious injuries.
Hundreds of cars were backed up on eastbound Highway 24 for more than 90 minutes before Caltrans was able to remove the burned up car and several others left behind by their owners.
fire, oakland, highway 24, bay area traffic, laura anthony
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway 11 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos