Bay Area Traffic
Drivers flee as car fire fills Caldecott Tunnel with smoke
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- It was a frightening morning commute for drivers on Highway 24 Friday when a car fire inside one bore of the Caldecott Tunnel prompted dozens of drivers to abandon their cars inside and walk out in heavy smoke.
"We started to notice really, really thick smoke and strong smell like burning rubber," motorist Kevin Watkins said.
Two-thirds of the way through the Caldecott Tunnel when it started to fill with smoke and people stopped and started jumping out of their cars.
"It was hard to breathe," Watkins said. "I did not have a scarf or anything, but I did put my shirt up over my face. Other people had scarves wrapped around their some people had masks, like dust protector masks."
"Officers and fire department responded to the scene to find a vehicle fully engulfed and the tunnel filled with smoke," California Highway Patrol Ofc. Daniel Hill said. "We calmly cleared everybody out of their vehicles and out of the tunnel."
Eight people were transported to area hospitals to be checked for possible smoke inhalation but there were no serious injuries.
Hundreds of cars were backed up on eastbound Highway 24 for more than 90 minutes before Caltrans was able to remove the burned up car and several others left behind by their owners.
fire, oakland, highway 24, bay area traffic, laura anthony
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 13 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 2 min ago
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos