Snowstorm affects travelers in Reno-Tahoe area
RENO, Nev. -- A snowstorm is snarling traffic and forcing flight delays and cancellations in the Reno-Lake Tahoe area.
Chain restrictions were required on Friday at the Kingvale exit. There was a mix of snow and rain that made the roads very slippery. Caltrans is concerned about the high winds expected on Saturday which could create whiteout conditions and possible road closures on the highways.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport spokeswoman Trish Tucker says the storm has caused four cancellations and 13 delays so far.
Washoe County School District officials in Reno say all school sporting events and activities are being canceled through Monday.
The storm also has prompted widespread chain controls on highways in the region, including on Interstate 80 over Donner Summit.
The National Weather Service says the storm should be the start of a prolonged stormy period lasting through the middle of next week.
The storm is expected to bring 3 to 6 feet of snow to higher elevations around Tahoe by Sunday afternoon.
snow, lake tahoe, sierra, reno, accuweather
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping 15 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
22 min ago
- Milpitas police investigate possible...
15 min ago