Snowstorm affects travelers in Reno-Tahoe area
RENO, Nev. -- A snowstorm is snarling traffic and forcing flight delays and cancellations in the Reno-Lake Tahoe area.
Chain restrictions were required on Friday at the Kingvale exit. There was a mix of snow and rain that made the roads very slippery. Caltrans is concerned about the high winds expected on Saturday which could create whiteout conditions and possible road closures on the highways.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport spokeswoman Trish Tucker says the storm has caused four cancellations and 13 delays so far.
Washoe County School District officials in Reno say all school sporting events and activities are being canceled through Monday.
The storm also has prompted widespread chain controls on highways in the region, including on Interstate 80 over Donner Summit.
The National Weather Service says the storm should be the start of a prolonged stormy period lasting through the middle of next week.
The storm is expected to bring 3 to 6 feet of snow to higher elevations around Tahoe by Sunday afternoon.
snow, lake tahoe, sierra, reno, accuweather
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe 47 min ago
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
43 min ago