Storm brings snow to Bay Area peaks
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An unusual flurry of snow hit the Bay Area's highest peaks on Friday night. It snowed in Berkeley and at Grizzly Peak. The snow began coming down to elevation levels just under 1,800 feet. It also snowed at Mt. Tamalpais in the North Bay and on Mt. Diablo in the east Bay.
With the cold temperatures dipping in some areas to 37 degrees, the danger of black ice beginning to form became another hazard drivers had to watch out for Friday night and early Saturday morning.
On Friday at the Saratoga Gap it had been raining all day long, so people drove up, looking for snow and they were not disappointed. At the intersection of Highway 9 and 35, snow lovers were able to make snowballs and small snowmen out of the amount of snow that fell. It was also cold enough that it didn't melt that quickly so a lot of parents brought their kids to play in the icy mix.
In Marin County, the snow steadily fell atop Mt. Tamalpais. The light dusting started at around 2 p.m. Friday, but by around 5 p.m. the snow was coming down at a steady pace so that several inches accumulated. People made the trek to check it out.
Caltrans crews also expected a lot more snow and ice to fall overnight. Trucks and teams were all over the mountain, standing by, just in case. They spent a lot of their time on Friday just moving rain water out of the roads.
Lisa Amin Gulezian contributed to this story
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos