Record lows bring snow dusting to Bay Area
Record low temperatures combined with light rain to bring a dusting of snow around the Bay Area Friday night and early Saturday morning, a National Weather Service meteorologist said.
To the mountain tops of El Sobrante to the east and Mount Tamalpais to the north, there was snow. Small flakes even fell near a shell gas station at 19th and Taraval in San Francisco. People wanted more.
"I was hoping it was going to snow but since it's not raining there's not really chance of that," Claire Helmer from Pleasanton said.
Instead, the sun came out, but the air was still 'very' crisp. Temperatures are low, which is why the city of San Jose opened 10 emergency warming centers on Saturday morning. The one located inside the Almaden Community Center, allows anyone to come inside and warm up during the early morning hours. The bitter cold can also be dangerous for drivers.
"We're in a winter storm watch, the temperatures have been dropping even in the daytime hours if the temps drop far enough to the freezing level you can actually have black ice during the daytime hours also," CHP Officer Sam Morgan said.
That's what several drivers faced all over the region on Saturday. Signs warned drivers in Vallejo about icy conditions, but it was too late as several cars slipped on black ice. In Napa, ice on American Canyon Road was blamed for a roll over. Ice could form again on Saturday night if standing water freezes up.
"I'm just cold, I don't like cold weather that much," Catherine Robertson from Sacramento said.
But the cold isn't going anywhere this weekend that's why its best - to just bundle up.
"I have a shirt, I have a fleece, neck scarf, a big rain coat and an umbrella," Sandy Christman from Pleasanton said.
There is a freeze warning for the North Bay mountains, parts of the East Bay and Carmel Valley.
rain, freeze, snow, santa cruz mountains, accuweather, lisa amin gulezian
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire 24 min ago
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station 35 min ago
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery 7 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos