South Bay residents embrace mountain snow
SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS, Calif. (KGO) -- The snow experience on the Santa Cruz Mountains was first come, first serve and to enjoy it you had to act fast. Jean Louis, a De Anza College student was on a mission, staying up all night for perfect moment.
"You know, it's snowing, and I wanted to see the snow and the sunrise. I thought it would be beautiful," he said.
He was delayed for a short time when he stopped to put on chains near the top of Highway 9. Caltrans crews say the snow started sticking at about 2:30 this morning. The elevation in the mountains is close to 3,000 feet and when the flurries tapered off, there was about a quarter inch on the ground. The dusting was enough to leave a slippery glaze on the roads which brought out the Caltrans plows and sand trucks hours before sunrise.
John Logan of Cupertino couldn't resist the chance to bring his rescue dog Tex to the snow. I
"He's about three. I don't know if he's ever seen it and I wanted to see how he liked it," he said.
The dusting didn't last long. By 8:30 a.m., the snow and ice on Skyline Boulevard were starting to disappear and what surrounded the area was melting fast.
rain, freeze, snow, santa cruz mountains, accuweather
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos