Spare the Air alert issued for Sunday
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Area Air Quality Management District issued a Spare the Air health advisory for Sunday.
According to the agency, air quality throughout the Bay Area will be unhealthy on July 3. The agency has asked for Bay Area residents to reduce their driving and cut energy use over the Independence Day weekend.
"It's important that we reduce the number of cars on Bay Area roads every day to prevent unhealthy air," executive officer of the Air District Jack Broadbent said in a press release issued Saturday afternoon.
The agency suggests walking or biking around town, working at home and carpooling to reduce the emission of unhealthy air.
The agency also suggests taking public transportation, though no free public transportation will be provided during Sunday's Spare the Air day.
The agency said a ban on wood burning would not be in effect, as is occasionally issued with Spare the Air days.
spare the air, transportation, accuweather
- Palo Alto man detained in NKorea lands at SFO
- Cold snap brings snow, icy conditions to Bay Area
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Crews investigating cause of water main break 37 min ago
- AMBER Alert suspect may be heading to Mexico
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Police investigating fatal accident in San Jose
- 1 dead, 1 injured in gun battle near Lil Scrappy show
- Report: Occidental again underreports sex assaults
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
24 min ago