Early snowfall good news for ski resorts
TRUCKEE, Calif. (KGO) -- Some parts of the Sierra Nevada woke up to a fresh blanket of snow Friday morning.
Many residents and tourists were caught off guard by the storm and had to scramble to get chains on their cars to avoid getting stuck.
The National Weather Service says three to six inches of snow fell above 7,000 feet.
It's good news for ski resorts. Boreal says the resort will open Friday and stay open seven days a week. They've already been making their own snow.
The very first Lake Tahoe ski resort is opening for the season -- one of the earliest starts in recent memory.
Boreal is now open to skiers and snowboarders after a good amount of snowfall in the past 24 hours. In addition, it's been cold enough the past few days that Boreal and other resorts have been making snow to build their base.
Most resorts will open in the next couple of weeks.
The National Weather Service says there will be very cold temperatures and measurable snowfall in the Sierra through next Wednesday.
snow, sierra, accuweather
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries 38 min ago
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 53 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire 7 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos