Crews cleaning up after wild wind hits Bay Area
Crews are cleaning up after wind toppled trees, spread fires and caused power outages.
Contra Costa County firefighters spent nearly all night keeping an eye out for hotspots after knocking down a fast moving wind whipped wildfire. It started on a hillside shortly before 6:00 p.m. in the Tassajara Valley, east of San Ramon, off Collier Canyon Road. With wind gusts of up to 60 miles an hour, what was initially reported as a 10 acre fire quickly turned into a nearly 200 acre fire. Crews from four different agencies worked four nearly two hours to contain it. Thankfully, the flames never reached any homes or structures. Crews didn't leave the scene until early this morning because of concerns the wind would create new flare ups.
Overnight the wind brought down a massive tree on top of an SUV on East Julian Street in San Jose. Nobody was hurt, but officials say it could take a while to get the vehicle out.
The howling winds blew a huge cypress tree into a home in the Oakland Hills. It hit the roof between the bedrooms of their two small children. Nobody was injured but the family is moving out.
In Fremont, high winds blew down a tree at what's called the Fremont Hub.
The bluster knocked over a Muni bus stop in San Francisco.
Santa Cruz mountains communities were certainly the hardest hit. In the Scotts Valley area, trees fell into homes and brought down power lines. Wind gusts of up to 60 miles per hour were recorded.
As many as 19 roads in the area were shut down as utility crews power sawed trees and cleared branches. Power outages were the biggest inconvenience. Several businesses and at least one school in Davenport had to close for the day and could be closed today as well.
PG&E, wind, storm, power outage, accuweather
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland 21 min ago
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 57 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos