Freeze warning issued, storm on the way
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- It is cold and the temperatures are dropping. The temperatures dipped below freezing in some areas Monday night. A freeze warning is in effect from 11 p.m. Monday until 8 a.m. Tuesday and that means the possibility of black ice on bridges and overpasses, so be extra careful on your morning commute.
People across the Bay Area are bracing for the frigid weather, especially those inland who will face the coldest temperatures.
At 11 p.m. on Monday it was 36 degrees in Walnut Creek and everyone and their dog seems to be bundling up. Monday afternoon, Bay Area residents were already feeling the effects of plummeting temperatures expected to sink into the mid 20's in the inland valleys. A big difference from the unseasonably warm weather we've been enjoying throughout most of the winter.
"I'm a native Californian, but I definitely think we're spoiled with our weather," said Marie Angel of Oakland.
Many cyclists say the freezing temperatures will not stop them from pedaling into the burning cold and with wet weather on the way, they're asking drivers to pay extra attention out there.
"Just be patient with us if we want to keep going because we're usually cold and wet and it's very uncomfortable to stop," said Chris Voss, a bicyclist from Oakland.
Succulents, herbs and citrus trees are vulnerable to freezing temperatures, so at Regan's Nursery in Fremont, experts are recommending a new kind of plant cover called N-Sulate.
"It's a plant cover here. It breathes on the plant, it does not form a moisture and the plants can breathe. And we also carry like a cloud cover which you can spray on the plants and this will protect the plants from the cold too," said Joe Lewis from Regan's Nursery.
And if you're wondering if you can light a fire, the answer is yes. There is no Spare the Air restrictions on Monday or Tuesday night. The Bay Area Air Quality Management District says the cold air above and below is creating a slight breeze that will push out most of the pollutants.
freeze, walnut creek, accuweather, alan wang
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5 24 min ago
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos