Storm causes damage as it barrels through Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A fast-moving and at times intense storm caused a lot of problems around the Bay Area Saturday, toppling trees and saturating hillsides.
A mudslide in Marin County resulted in the closure of Panoramic Highway near state Highway 1 for several hours in the afternoon, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Reports of the mudslide and a fallen tree that completely blocked the roadway were reported at about 12:30 p.m., CHP Officer Eric Anderson said.
In Cloverdale, a tree came down over Highway 128, shutting down traffic. It also took out a power line and knocked out electricity for about 365 Sonoma County customers.
Hundreds of PG&E customers in Los Altos lost power Saturday afternoon because of a tree that fell on a power line. Some 1,600 customers lost service at 11:11 a.m. when the tree hit the power line, spokeswoman Jana Morris said.
High surf advisory
A high surf advisory is in effect until 5 a.m. Monday along the coastal North Bay, the San Francisco-Peninsula coast and southern Monterey Bay and Big Sur coasts.
Swells are expected to range from 15 to 20 feet with steep breakers reaching up to 22 feet in some locations. Strong rip currents are also expected, along with large breakers.
Bay City News Service contributed to this report.
storm, power outage, accuweather
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco 35 min ago
- 8th stage of Amgen Tour of California kicks off in SF
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos