Heavy rain, lightning hits Bay Area
A powerful thunderstorm lit up the Bay Area Thursday night. It was the kind of weather we don't see here very often. Pitchforks of lightning stabbed the sky and thunder rumbled the ground for hours. With it came some strong winds and a lot of rain.
The night was intense and it began around the San Mateo County coastline. A severe thunderstorm warning was issued for Northern San Mateo County and the storm started to diminish a bit when it moved over to the East Bay. However, there were a number of thunderstorms lined up over the Pacific and moving from the peninsula northeast across the Bay Area.
There were over 3,000 lightning strikes reported around the state from Thursday afternoon until 11 p.m.
There was heavy rain that fell in parts of the North Bay and South Bay.
Also Thursday night, in the Oakland Hills a tree came crashing down because he ground was so saturated. It happened on Glencourt Drive near Arrowhead Drive around 8 p.m. The tree also took down power lines and ultimately crashed down on top of a car. The tree blocked the entire street, but as far as we know, there are no injuries. There was a power outage to some homes, but PG&E quickly came and restored the power.
There were about 2,000 customers that lost power in San Francisco's Bayview neighborhood and about 1,700 customers that lost power in Concord on Clayton Road.
Thursday evening a United flight was hit by lightning. The flight returned to the gate and there were no injuries reported. The SFO duty manager did not have the flight number or destination. There were 61 flights cancelled and some arriving flights were delayed at SFO for up to two or three hours, due to this storm.
Tune into ABC7 starting at 4:30 a.m. for the latest weather and traffic updates.
storm, rain, santa clara county, san mateo county, accuweather
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive 36 min ago
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that! 56 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 36 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides 27 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Startup sells insurance based on how much...
36 min ago