Late summer in full blast; 'Spare the Air' alert
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Bay Area air quality is forecast to reach unhealthy levels for a third day in a row, prompting another Spare the Air alert for Monday, according to Bay Area air quality officials.
Sunshine and hot temperatures expected
California's in for another day of fiery fall weather. The National Weather Service says there could be record high temperatures across the state Monday afternoon along with gusty winds in the mountains and extreme fire danger.
We'll see sunshine everywhere in the Bay Area as well as the warmest afternoon temperatures this week. Temperatures are forecast to reach the mid 70s in San Francisco and the lower 90s inland.
Downtown Los Angeles could hit 100, matching a daily record set in 2008. Inland valleys in the San Francisco Bay area could see triple-digits.
On Sunday, LA's Woodland Hills area hit 103, topping a record set in 2003. Indio had a low of 81, breaking the previous record of 79 set back in 1966.
The weather service says there's high fire danger through Tuesday in mountains because of hot, dry weather, tinder-dry brush and possible wind gusts of 20 mph or more.
The heat could start to ease Tuesday evening.
Spare the Air Alert
The alert, issued by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, means that air quality is expected to be poor and residents are advised to reduce driving and avoid outdoor activities during the hottest parts of the day.
An alert is already in effect today. Monday's Spare the Air alert is the tenth of 2012.
Residents are asked to avoid driving on Spare the Air days and find alternate transit options, including biking, carpooling or taking public transit.
(Associated Press and Bay City News contributed to this story.)
spare the air, heat wave, accuweather
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 16 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 57 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
48 min ago