Exclusive Live Doppler 7 HD has Bay Area covered
ABC7 News has the strongest, fastest, most powerful storm tracking system in Northern California. Our exclusive Live Doppler 7 HD sits high above the Napa Valley on Mount St. Helena. This location puts it in position to track those powerful, cold Alaskan storms that sweep down on us from the north. We are able to see storms approach even before the National Weather Service. Their doppler is more than 100 miles south in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Together we've got the Bay Area covered.
When it rains, ABC7 News knows who will be impacted first. Live Doppler Seven HD is so powerful it can scan hundreds of miles in seconds and pick up even a trace of precipitation in your neighborhood.
The National Weather Service makes a winter weather prediction in late November. But the Bay Area usually starts to see significant rain in October. The Climate Prediction Center already says this year's winter weather forecast will be tough because of El Nino. That's when the temperature of the Pacific Ocean near the equator rises by at least half a degree above normal for a three-month period in a given year. The warmer the water, the more moisture in our air.
Forecasters predict a weak El Nino this year. Three of the last eight weak El Nino's were wet years. Four were dry. And one of those years was actually our driest ever recorded.
As Live Doppler 7 HD tracks rain in the Bay Area, we are able to show you how it turns into snow in the Sierra. Tahoe ski resorts are hoping for more snow than they got last year. Most had to make snow just to keep the skiers coming.
When severe weather threatens your neighborhood, Live Doppler 7 HD is your best source on air, online, and on your mobile device. The Bay Area's most experienced weather team uses the power of Live Doppler 7 HD to keep you safe.
Written and produced by Ken Miguel
storm, rain, el nino, santa cruz mountains, napa, lake tahoe, sierra, snow, accuweather, mike nicco
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting arrested 2 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85 15 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 6 min ago
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack 47 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting...
2 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at...
6 min ago