Chilly weather moves into the Bay Area
NAPA, Calif. (KGO) -- Just a few days ago, Bay Area communities were enjoying summer-like weather. On Friday night, those same neighborhoods plummeted into the thirties. The coldest temperatures could be found in the North Bay, where it was near-freezing overnight in Napa.
In downtown Napa, the weekend was ushered in by frosty temperatures hovering near freezing, "It's freezing," said Napa resident Nani Daniels. "This is the coldest it's been this year. I mean two, three days ago it was 80 degrees. So this is biting cold."
A mere 36 degrees didn't stop Denver resident Jenny Hopkins from going on her morning run. Or others from going on their morning coffee run, "It's not very cold this morning," Hopkins said. "It's a beautiful morning, actually."
Danville resident Tom Tighe added, "This is gorgeous. It's wonderful and beautiful, and the sun is gonna be up today. We thought it was gonna rain, so we're excited about the day."
On this quiet morning at Truchard Vineyards, the frost was no cause for concern. Instead, it's a welcome sign of the seasons changing, "The cold just makes the leaves drop off the vines and tells the vines to go to sleep, and that's what they need to do," said Truchard Vineyards winemaker Sal Deianni. "They worked hard this year. We had good grapes and a good crop, and now it's time to rest. That's what this will start."
So while the near-freezing temperatures early Saturday morning turned into a beautiful day here in Napa, it wasn't the same elsewhere in the Bay. In the Oakland Hills, residents saw hail, and in Palo Alto, some residents were in for a rude awakening. The frigid, 35 degree overnight temperature is to blame for a water main break on Newell Road. It soaked the streets and left nearby residents without water for the majority of the day.
On Saturday night temperatures are expected to once again drop back into the icy 30's.
freeze, rain, snow, storm, wind, napa, palo alto, oakland, accuweather
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday