Chilly weather moves into the Bay Area
NAPA, Calif. (KGO) -- Just a few days ago, Bay Area communities were enjoying summer-like weather. On Friday night, those same neighborhoods plummeted into the thirties. The coldest temperatures could be found in the North Bay, where it was near-freezing overnight in Napa.
In downtown Napa, the weekend was ushered in by frosty temperatures hovering near freezing, "It's freezing," said Napa resident Nani Daniels. "This is the coldest it's been this year. I mean two, three days ago it was 80 degrees. So this is biting cold."
A mere 36 degrees didn't stop Denver resident Jenny Hopkins from going on her morning run. Or others from going on their morning coffee run, "It's not very cold this morning," Hopkins said. "It's a beautiful morning, actually."
Danville resident Tom Tighe added, "This is gorgeous. It's wonderful and beautiful, and the sun is gonna be up today. We thought it was gonna rain, so we're excited about the day."
On this quiet morning at Truchard Vineyards, the frost was no cause for concern. Instead, it's a welcome sign of the seasons changing, "The cold just makes the leaves drop off the vines and tells the vines to go to sleep, and that's what they need to do," said Truchard Vineyards winemaker Sal Deianni. "They worked hard this year. We had good grapes and a good crop, and now it's time to rest. That's what this will start."
So while the near-freezing temperatures early Saturday morning turned into a beautiful day here in Napa, it wasn't the same elsewhere in the Bay. In the Oakland Hills, residents saw hail, and in Palo Alto, some residents were in for a rude awakening. The frigid, 35 degree overnight temperature is to blame for a water main break on Newell Road. It soaked the streets and left nearby residents without water for the majority of the day.
On Saturday night temperatures are expected to once again drop back into the icy 30's.
freeze, rain, snow, storm, wind, napa, palo alto, oakland, accuweather
- Fiery crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 3 min ago
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire 58 min ago
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 59 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos