Midwest hit by its first major snowstorm of season
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Iowa and Nebraska are taking a heavy hit from the major snowstorm that's been moving across the Plains and into the Midwest.
The snow tapered off by this morning in Des Moines, but strong winds are creating whiteout conditions. A 25-vehicle pileup on Interstate 80 north of Des Moines killed one person. Police say drivers were blinded by blowing snow and didn't see vehicles that had stopped or slowed.
Some unplowed streets in the city are nearly impossible to navigate in anything other than a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
The windy conditions have contributed to tens of thousands of power outages.
Forecasters say the snow cover will drag temperatures much lower in Nebraska and Iowa, with readings in the single digits.
People who are trying to fly today in advance of the Christmas holiday are finding their plans disrupted. Officials at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago report some flight delays and dozens of cancellations.
Chicago began the day with heavy fog and cold, driving rain -- and a forecast for snow later in the day.
san francisco international airport, oakland international airport, mineta san jose international airport, holiday, travel, ice, freeze, rain, storm, wind, christmas, new year's eve, accuweather
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges 50 min ago
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network 45 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major-injury crash blocking lanes on NB I-880 42 min ago
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 28 min ago
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 23 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors put to the test
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- San Jose police officer facing sexual...
50 min ago