5 feet of snow possible in Sierra through weekend
RENO, Nev. -- The most powerful winter storm of the season is expected to bring as much as 5 feet of snow to the top of the Sierra through Sunday.
The National Weather Service predicts as much as 2 feet around Lake Tahoe and potential for as much as foot in Reno and other valley floors by the time the high winds and precipitation blow out of the area Monday morning.
The storm arrived slower than expected on Friday, but winds gusting in excess of 50 mph upended several semitrailer -trucks on U.S. Highway 395 just north of Reno.
Two to 6 inches of snow is forecast in the valleys on Saturday, up to 12 inches in the foothills around Reno, Carson City and Minden. A similar amount could fall again on Sunday.
rain, storm, wind, san francisco international airport, mineta san jose international airport, oakland international airport, airline industry, holiday, travel, transportation, marin county, sierra, snow, driving, accuweather
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall 32 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 54 min ago
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos