5 feet of snow possible in Sierra through weekend
RENO, Nev. -- The most powerful winter storm of the season is expected to bring as much as 5 feet of snow to the top of the Sierra through Sunday.
The National Weather Service predicts as much as 2 feet around Lake Tahoe and potential for as much as foot in Reno and other valley floors by the time the high winds and precipitation blow out of the area Monday morning.
The storm arrived slower than expected on Friday, but winds gusting in excess of 50 mph upended several semitrailer -trucks on U.S. Highway 395 just north of Reno.
Two to 6 inches of snow is forecast in the valleys on Saturday, up to 12 inches in the foothills around Reno, Carson City and Minden. A similar amount could fall again on Sunday.
rain, storm, wind, san francisco international airport, mineta san jose international airport, oakland international airport, airline industry, holiday, travel, transportation, marin county, sierra, snow, driving, accuweather
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 5 min ago
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos