Marin reservoirs at full capacity after recent rains
MARIN COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Marin County reservoirs are overflowing with rainwater -- something that hasn't happened this early in the season for more than 30 years.
All seven reservoirs in Marin are at capacity as of Friday night. Lake Lagunitas near Mt. Tam is full and overflowing, as is Bon Tempe Dam, where rushing water is cascading over the top into Alpine Lake below.
The amounts are amazing so early in the season. And it's a beautiful sight to see, especially if you're in the water business.
"All of our reservoirs as of last night have reached capacity. That's the earliest that we've done that since 1983," said Mike Ban of the Marin Municipal Water District.
That's amazing, considering reservoirs don't usually top off until April. And in drought years, lakes can look like deserts.
"Having lived here when there was 50 gallons a day water rationing back in the '90s, it's great to see we've got a leg up on it already," said Mill Valley resident Stuart Felker.
The high water means the trout are biting, big time. Mill Valley resident Brenden Collins showed off a fish that he said took him about two minutes to catch since fish were closer to the shore.
Despite all the water, officials in Marin are still urging residents to conserve water.
All of the reservoirs that feed the Bay Area's water supply are in good shape. The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission says its reservoirs are at 83 percent of capacity. The East Bay Municipal Utility District's five reservoirs are at a combined 85 percent, and one of the Santa Clara Valley Water District's biggest rainwater reservoirs, the Lexington, is at 63 percent.
rain, marin county, water, storm, accuweather
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- Report: Yahoo nearing $1.1B acquisition of Tumblr
- Get Free Stuff: Purse, nail kit, comedy show
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday