New York farmer builds 36-foot snowman
CHAMPION, NY (KGO) -- This winter, many people found themselves flocking to a farm in Upstate New York to get a glimpse of a snowman so big it has a traffic cone instead of a carrot for a nose.
This heavyweight snowman stands more than 36 feet tall in the town of Champion, New York which is north of Syracuse. Farmer Vern Scoville first built a 35-foot snowman two years ago. He went a little bigger this year after not having enough snow to build one at all last year.
"It's quite a thing. It's unreal the people that'll stop and get their picture taken. It's just fun to watch," said Scoville.
"It's very impressive, the amount of people it does. Each year it gets bigger and bigger," said Jeff Berrus, a snowman building crew member.
It takes a crew of 30 people and heavy equipment to create the giant snowman. The community benefits from this effort because visitors can leave donations for the local food bank in the snowman's bottom button.
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area 3 min ago
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Thai opposition party says quitting Parliament 48 min ago
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M 1 min ago
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs and chicken 16 min ago
- SJ seeks crowdfunding support for gun buyback 7 min ago
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder 32 min ago
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday