Bay Area storm makes for soggy morning commute
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A soggy commute greeted Monday morning drivers on Interstate 280, where the San Francisco skyline was barely visible through the clouds.
On King Street umbrellas were popping up everywhere, changing the daily routines of a lot of people heading to work.
I'm actually taking Muni because it's raining," San Francisco resident Peter Shehu said. "But I normally walk to work."
Fellow city resident Mar Carmona added, "I don't like it, I like sunny days in San Francisco."
There wasn't much sun at the Caltrain station in San Francisco, and keeping the floor of the station dry so commuters didn't slip was a challenge.
"It's a hassle, it's probably the worst job here," Target employee Brandon Raines said.
Raines was on shopping cart retrieval duty at the Target store in Emeryville. Not an easy task on a day like this.
"Customers throw them all out there, then they slide and you can't handle them," Raines said.
As shoppers hustled to their cars to keep dry, Alameda resident Sharon Nichols took her time and left her umbrella in the car.
"I really do enjoy the rain because I think we need it, even though they say there is a lot of snow, I think we need the rain and I like rain, I grew up in the Midwest," Nichols said.
The CHP says it was a very busy day for them, dozens of spinouts and fender benders, including one fatal accident on I-780 in Benicia. They say it may have been due to the wet weather.
Roads are still slick, they advise drivers to allow plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you.
san francisco bay, benicia, emeryville, muni, caltrain, CHP, target, driving, rain, storm, shopping, crash, accuweather
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 17 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 15 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos