Heavy snow causes roof collapse in Minnesota
MINNEAPOLIS (KGO) -- Heavy snowfall caused the roof on a former Jeep dealership in southeastern Minnesota to cave in.
Several roof collapses were seen in West Concord due to the unseasonable weather.
More than a foot of heavy, wet snow from a late spring storm fell overnight.
Upper Midwest schoolchildren get rare May snow day
Schoolchildren in Minnesota and Wisconsin are getting a rare May snow day after a storm dropped up to 16 inches of sticky snow on the Upper Midwest.
Bobbi Howe's two daughters had to stay home in the southeastern Minnesota city of Owatonna, where 15.5 inches of snow made it hard for the family to open their front door. Owatonna was one of dozens of school districts in Minnesota and Wisconsin that canceled classes.
The Twin Cities were supposed to be in the bulls-eye but escaped unscathed when the storm tracked farther east than forecast.
But more than 16 inches of snow fell on Ashland in far northwestern Wisconsin. The Wisconsin State Patrol says that was a factor in a fatal crash between two semis on Interstate 94 near Menomonie.
(The Associated Press contributed to this story)
ice, snow, storm, accuweather
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF 16 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County 55 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case