Bad weather causes major delays, cancellations at SFO
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Cool and cloudy weather caused major flight delays and dozens of cancellations at San Francisco International Airport on Sunday.
Flight officials at SFO say the airport has been managing a ground delay throughout the day. And because of the weather, they expect the delays to continue through 1 a.m. Monday.
Inside the terminals the departures and arrivals boards were lit up with cancellations and delays, with flights that should have left hours ago were still waiting to take off.
The airport duty manager tells me they are running on a 60 to 90 minute delay, mostly for short haul flights up and down the coast, as well as flights to destinations like Seattle and Las Vegas.
And the cancellations are stacking up. 36 flights leaving out of SFO were scrubbed. And 37 flights destined for SFO were cancelled. Passengers have been carefully keeping an eye on flight updates.
"It's been delayed about 45 minutes," delayed passenger Amber Read said.
Nicole Berner, who was waiting for a passenger to arrive, added, "She flew into LAX, she arrived at 7:30 in the morning. And I was thinking she could have driven, because by the time she got in a car and driven here she would have been here already."
Across the bay in Oakland, the rain and drizzle made for a wet drive. Pedestrians had to pull out their umbrellas. But there have been no reports of any major accidents because of the weather.
At SFO, because of the low cloud cover and occasional rain, they expect delays to continue. Officials advise those hoping to fly out of there Sunday night to keep in close contact with their airlines about their flight status.
san francisco international airport, oakland international airport, rain, wind, storm, oakland, accuweather
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 18 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
15 min ago