Rain makes June like January across Bay Area
NOVATO, Calif. (KGO) -- Slick roads caused problems all over the Bay Area Tuesday including a deadly accident.
If you had gone to Las Vegas a year ago and placed a bet that it would rain on this day, you would be wealthy today and also quite lucky. Much of the rain did fall in in the North Bay, but the damage was widespread.
In Fremont, a rainy morning set the scene for tragedy on Interstate 880 where just before 5 a.m., a big rig and a car collided killing the car's occupant. The wreck blocked three lanes and slowed traffic for hours. The CHP is still investigating the crash.
That crash was the worst of it, but not all of it. Near Guerneville in Sonoma County, slick conditions caused a truck to jackknife, blocking traffic on River Road for several hours. There were no serious injuries.
Those were the two most notable accidents, although the rain caused damage elsewhere, notably, damage of the economic kind. On a normal Tuesday at the Adobe Creek Golf Course in Petaluma, they get roughly 140 paying customers. With the rain Tuesday, only five showed up.
The good news for those who did pay to play was that there was no one ahead and no one behind -- near solitude. "We cannot control the weather, the same as my game. I cannot control my game," golfer Tom Suwan said.
There was one kind of business that benefitted from the rain -- movie theaters.
fremont, sonoma county, petaluma, I-880, crash, rain, accuweather, wayne freedman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College 6 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday