Stong winds wreak havoc across Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Strong winds in the Bay Area overnight caused large trees to topple and even flipped over some big-rigs on I-580.
Last night in Danville a redwood came crashing onto a home on Mariposa Court and Estates Drive. The tree landed on a three-year-old girl's bedroom. The family was in another part of the house and everyone was uninjured.
Winds speeds on the Altamont Pass reached a Category 1 hurricane level last night. The winds were so strong that multiple big-rigs flipped over on I-580 in near Livermore east of the Mountain House exit. There were no injuries reported. Drivers were saying visibility was difficult as the winds were kicking up a lot of dust and dirt.
High winds also caused problems in Emeryville. Crews had to clear rubble there after winds ripped the facade off a store front at the Bay Street Emeryville shopping center. It happened around 9 p.m. Sunday when chunks of the Forever 21 store came crashing down. A couple of cars were damaged and no one was hurt.
Powerful wind gusts blew down a tree in Antioch. One of the big branches crashed right through the roof of a house on west Sixth Street. A man and his son were in the back bedroom when debris came raining down. Jonathan Olivo says he was sitting on the bed when he heard a loud noise which turned out to be the tree snapping at its base. Olivo was treated at the hospital for scratches to his back. Firefighters say the tree was dead -- making it vulnerable to the high winds.
In San Francisco, a large tree fell and blocked part of Valencia Street in the Mission District overnight. Fire crews moved it to the side of the road, but winds were so strong they blew the tree right back into the street.
Power was knocked out at Treasure Island for several hours last night. High winds brought a tree down onto power lines. Electricity was restored about three hours later.
wind, emeryville, I-580, livermore, danville, accuweather
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos