Rain drenches Bay Area in season's first storm
Wednesday's rain brought much-needed rain to the Bay Area. It also caused traffic backups, fallen trees and several outages.
The slick roads created backups during the morning commute; the Bay Bridge toll plaza was a sea of red that stretched for miles and there were also backs-up on Highway 101 in the North Bay due to accidents.
Later in the day, the California Highway Patrol had to temporarily close lanes on Highway 101 in San Francisco due to water in the roadway.
The storm also caused problems in the South Bay. Classes at Silver Creek High School were cancelled for the day due to a power outage.
"We can't have the students here without power. It's just a safety hazard," said Principal Adolfo Laguna.
And traffic on northbound Highway 17 through the Santa Cruz Mountains was snarled for hours after a car drove off the roadway and crashed 50 feet down a cliff. Four people were seriously injured in the crash. The official cause has not been determined but it was raining heavily at the time and a CHP spokesperson said the car may have been traveling too fast for the wet conditions.
There were also power outages in the East Bay. A brand-new power pole came crashing down in Lafayette Wednesday afternoon, bringing live wires down with it. Streets in the area were shut down and nearby residents were without power for several hours.
In San Anselmo, where flooding has been a problem in the past, the creek remained low Wednesday, but it also brought attention to a heavily debated proposal. Officials are considering a plan to prevent flooding in the town. The $17 million project would create an emergency water detention basin in a city park, but not all residents are supporting the idea.
Wednesday evening, a power line fell near the Hayward Park Caltrain station in San Mateo, disrupting Caltrain service.
(Bay City News contributed to this report)
rain, storm, san jose, highway 101, highway 17, santa cruz mountains, san anselmo, lafayette, power outage, crash, flooding, accuweather, matt keller
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Broken water line in San Francisco's Lower Haight 6 min ago
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
29 min ago