Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
BOULDER CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Bay Area residents are bracing for another frigid night. A Freeze Warning is in place for the entire region, except San Francisco.
The deep freeze brought snow overnight to the Bay Area in higher elevations.
Light flurries Saturday morning brought a dusting of fresh snow to the Santa Cruz Mountains. And SKY7 HD captured the white caps atop Mount Hamilton near the Lick Observatory.
Though more below-freezing temperatures are forecast for parts of the Bay Area, it's not likely these peaks will get any more snow this weekend.
A Winter Spare the Air Day has been called for Sunday, which means no wood burning unless it is your only source of heat.
Low temperatures throughout the Bay Area hit new records or tied old ones Friday morning and ranged from 22 degrees in Gilroy to 40 degrees in downtown San Francisco, according to figures from the National Weather Service.
Freezing temperatures are expected to return by late Saturday night and into Sunday morning, and a freeze warning has been issued for the entire Bay Area aside from San Francisco.
Forecasters say freezing temperatures are expected again on Sunday night and into Monday.
Drivers are warned to expect icy roads, especially at higher elevations, and limited visibility in some areas Saturday. In addition, residents should be aware of the risk of hypothermia for people and animals staying outdoors overnight.
(Bay City News contributed to this report)
freeze, santa clara county, san jose, homeless, rain, storm, snow, accuweather
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 12 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
52 min ago