Ron Paul wins straw poll in Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Lake Jackson Congressman Ron Paul is the overwhelming winner of a straw poll taken right here in Houston.
The three-day conservative Saddle Up Texas straw poll wrapped up at Minute Maid Park Saturday evening.
Paul claimed 54 percent of the more than 3,000 votes cast for president.
Rick Santorum was a distant second with 15 percent, followed by Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman.
Republican candidates for other Texas offices appeared at the event to pitch their platforms to voters.
Several voters told us the economy and personal liberties were the most important issues in this election.
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Tornadoes strike Kansas, Oklahoma
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- Police investigating 2 deaths in west Houston 14 min ago
- Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery
- Driver killed when SUV goes airborne
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship
- Man found fatally shot at Motel 6 in east Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos