Transgender widow to spend 50 days in jail after pleading guilty to felony theft charge
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The transgender widow of a fallen Wharton firefighter will spend nearly two months behind bars.
Nikki Araguz, 36, pled guilty Wednesday to felony theft and was sentenced to 50 days in jail. Araguz was accused of stealing a Rolex from a woman last year. She had been in jail since last week when her bond was revoked.
Araguz is still in the midst of a court battle over her husband's death benefits. Because Araguz was born a man, Texas law does not recognize the couple's union.
- weather: Rain showers popping up across SE Texas
- Overturned tanker truck causing traffic nightmare
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- Police: Suspected drunk driver slams into ambulance
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Gay pride parade's new condom policy draws criticism
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots burglar
- Houston man sentenced for operating bogus ambulance companies 42 min ago
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet 30 min ago
- Diving great Greg Louganis to marry in fall 16 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7 million older model Jeeps
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis 10 min ago
- abcnews: Brain-eating amoeba warning in Florida
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
15 min ago
- Students sharpen math and science skills at...
40 min ago
- People's Lawyer Richard Alderman answers...
28 min ago