Lamar takes on Vermont for right to play UNC
RALEIGH, NC -- North Carolina has earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
The Tar Heels (29-5) won't have to leave their home state as they begin pushing for a third national championship in eight years. They'll begin play in the Midwest Region against the Lamar-Vermont winner on Friday in Greensboro, about an hour west of the Chapel Hill campus.
North Carolina was the preseason No. 1 and won the Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season title. But the Tar Heels played most of the ACC tournament without top defender John Henson due to a wrist injury and lost to Florida State in Sunday's final.
Two losses this year came to the Seminoles. They also lost by a point to Duke and Kentucky on games that came down to the final possession.
- Severe weather possible across Houston area 50 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 2 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 2 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
30 min ago