Navy Cross recipient welcomed home in La Porte
LA PORTE, TX (KTRK) -- He received the U.S. Navy's highest honor -- the second highest award given for valor in the entire military -- and on Saturday, he got a hero's welcome home.
Residents cheered as the Patriot Guard and Legion Riders led Sgt. Christopher Farias through La Porte.
The 26-year-old was knocked unconscious in a Taliban attack but somehow got up and led his fellow Marines out of danger.
After the rolling tribute escort, a ceremony and dinner was held for Farias, his family and friends at the local VFW.
- Boy, 15, bitten by shark at Surfside Beach
- Court says pre-Miranda silence can be used
- Police: Teen dies trying to protect his mom
- Bullet-proof glass saves store clerk during shooting
- Robbers hit jewelry store in The Woodlands
- One dead in multi-vehicle wreck in N. Harris Co.
- Resident fights to save tree in The Heights
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Webster flower shop murder shocks community
- NASA picks 8 new astronauts, 4 of them women
- Photos: Daytime Emmy Awards red carpet arrivals
- otrc: Kim Kardashian gives birth to baby girl
- abcnews: Burned woman warns of spa dangers
- Video: Good Samaritan stabbed by own sword