Navy Cross recipient welcomed home in La Porte
LA PORTE, TX (KTRK) -- He received the U.S. Navy's highest honor -- the second highest award given for valor in the entire military -- and on Saturday, he got a hero's welcome home.
Residents cheered as the Patriot Guard and Legion Riders led Sgt. Christopher Farias through La Porte.
The 26-year-old was knocked unconscious in a Taliban attack but somehow got up and led his fellow Marines out of danger.
After the rolling tribute escort, a ceremony and dinner was held for Farias, his family and friends at the local VFW.
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 47 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 15 min ago
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better 54 min ago
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20