Navy Cross recipient welcomed home in La Porte
LA PORTE, TX (KTRK) -- He received the U.S. Navy's highest honor -- the second highest award given for valor in the entire military -- and on Saturday, he got a hero's welcome home.
Residents cheered as the Patriot Guard and Legion Riders led Sgt. Christopher Farias through La Porte.
The 26-year-old was knocked unconscious in a Taliban attack but somehow got up and led his fellow Marines out of danger.
After the rolling tribute escort, a ceremony and dinner was held for Farias, his family and friends at the local VFW.
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston 47 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 51 min ago
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day 27 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 30 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer 38 min ago
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Guide dog saves blind man who fell on subway tracks 32 min ago