Broncos LB Joe Mays suspended 1 game for hit to Texans QB Matt Schaub
ENGLEWOOD, CO -- Denver Broncos linebacker Joe Mays will be suspended for one game and fined $50,000 by the NFL for his hit on Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub over the weekend.
Mays drew a roughing-the-passer penalty for his third-quarter hit on Schaub, who lost part of his earlobe when his helmet flew off in a 31-25 win Sunday.
As part of his suspension, Mays won't practice with the Broncos this week or be at the team's headquarters as they prepare for the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. He will be reinstated Monday.
Mays can appeal the suspension.
When asked after the game if he expected to be fined, Mays said: "Oh yeah. I'm expecting that. But it was not my intention to do that."
Mays is a fifth-year player from North Dakota State.
houston texans, nfl, nfl
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 10 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 11 min ago
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site 30 min ago
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza' 10 min ago
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act 57 min ago
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Attempted robbery at McDonald's foiled by quick-thinking worker 2 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof