Woman shot through front door during ambush in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are investigating an attack on a woman in southwest Houston who was shot as she was arriving home from work Wednesday night.
Shirley Smith, 59, had just gotten home and was taking out the trash at around midnight when two men approached her. One of them had a weapon. They forced her into the house, telling her to shut off the alarm when it went off. But she took the opportunity to shut the door on them. In turn, they shot through the front door, hitting her in the leg.
Police were called to the scene, but the men escaped without taking anything. Police aren't sure if the suspects fled on foot or by car, but they remain on the loose.
Smith has been treated for her gunshot wound at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital and released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- River Oaks residents fighting to stop office building 45 min ago
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Rice U police officers cleared of wrongdoing in man's arrest 46 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Woman charged after allegedly kicking son in Walmart 12 min ago
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- NJ honor student who sued parents returns home 51 min ago