Oscar De La Rosa of La Mafia injured in assault outside Houston nightclub
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Grammy-winning Tejano singer is recovering from an attack at a Montrose bar. Witnesses say a fan is responsible for the beating that took place overnight.
La Mafia is one of the pioneers of Tejano music. They've been around for three decades and are arguably the most recognizable Tejano band. It's that notoriety that led to a severe beating of the band's lead singer.
Oscar De La Rosa is the front man of the four-time Grammy Award-winning group La Mafia, but his bandmate says his celebrity status turned on him.
"This person was in the club and had wanted a photo with Oscar. And sometimes when he goes out for entertainment he doesn't like taking pictures," Armando Lichtenberger Jr.
De La Rosa and his driver were leaving the night club Blur Bar in Montrose around 1:30am Monday. Minutes earlier, the fan that requested the picture was thrown out for a separate incident and saw the Tejano singer leaving. He rushed both before they realized it.
"He sucker-punched the driver, knocked him half unconscious and then he went at Oscar and started pounding on his face," said Lichtenberger.
The 53-year-old was rushed to the hospital with serious facial injuries. Stitches were needed for several gashes under his eye, nose and upper lip. An eye specialist say his vision in one eye could be limited.
"Right now he has lost, he is at 60 percent and they don't know yet if there will be permanent damage," Lichtenberger told us.
The singer is now resting at home and is in shock that he was attacked.
"A sucker punch is the worst thing," said Lichtenberger. "He didn't get to defend himself at all. It happened so fast."
The suspect fled on foot, but police believe they have him identified and charges are expected.
La Mafia's concert Saturday in Atlanta is tentative at this point.
Fans have left an outpouring of get well wishes on the band's Facebook page.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, erik barajas
- Child killed by falling tree branch 9 min ago
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- 3 shoplifting suspects nabbed after hour-long chase
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Man found dead at home in Fort Bend County
- TV co-host dies in motorcycle crash 6 min ago
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash 46 min ago
- Texans can still make the playoffs if...
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover 27 min ago
- Woman warning others after car sale goes awry
- When fictional sex is bad, really bad
- Last day of warm before the temperatures drop
- Mom, 17, fatally stabbed while holding baby
- Legal questions answered by People's Lawyer
53 min ago