Two home invasion suspects fatally shot by resident in north Houston, 1 other escapes
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A home invasion Sunday in north Houston ended with two suspects dead and another on the loose.
It happened around 4:40pm at Oak Leaf Village Apartments in the 100 block of Dyna Drive near Chipman Lane.
Lile Pena was overcome with emotion as she described the scene inside her home. Pena says she was there with her husband, four children and their uncle when it all began.
According to Houston police, three armed men broke into the apartment.
Not even his mother's warm embrace could stop tears from rolling down seven-year-old Fernando's face as he recalled what happened.
"I was scared because I thought my dad was going to die," he said.
Fernando's eyewitness account of what happened to his family has been helpful to investigators as they piece the scene together.
"My uncle come with the hands up," he said. "My dad takes his gun out and then he shoots two, then one goes running outside."
Police aren't saying exactly how three armed men got inside, but investigators believe they were looking for money. Only one of the three escaped.
"There was a third suspect who fled the scene," HPD Homicide Det. Ivan Ulloa said. "We have very, very, very limited information on that person."
Investigators said the shooter was taken in for questioning, but they believe this was a resident rightfully defending his home and family. The case will be referred to a grand jury.
As extended family members heard what happened, they rushed to the scene.
"I'm relieved because it was either him or them," cousin Julio Lopez said. "Tragedy, but he's alive and I hope he'll get out because he was just protecting his family."
And while the man's oldest son is still very shaken, it's his father's actions that he'll remember most.
"He's a great hero," Fernando said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident 58 min ago
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out 49 min ago
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged 37 min ago
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom 19 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter' 30 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust