Parts of Astrodome demolished
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Parts of the iconic Houston Astrodome were reduced to rubble Sunday night.
Three large ramp towers on the exterior of the dome were demolished with explosives around 9:30pm.
The circular ramp towers were some of the most recognizable pieces of the legendary stadium. They were constructed to accommodate the added seating capacity when 10,000 seats and luxury suites were added to the Astrodome.
The Texas Department of Transportation closed the South Loop near Astrodome during the demolition. When the towers were coming down, both eastbound and westbound lanes were brought to a halt as a precaution.
In November, voters rejected a $217 million renovation bond to save the Astrodome. Its fate remains in limbo as Harris County commissioners have not made a final decision on whether the dome will be razed.
Sunday's removal is a continuation of site work already underway at the stadium and was planned before the vote.
A Houston group could delay the demolition of the Astrodome.
The Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission will vote this week on making the dome a historical landmark. The vote is scheduled for Thursday.
Even if the commission approves the move, the city council will have the final say. A historic designation also would not stop the demolition. The vote would only delay it by 90 days.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 37 min ago
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company 35 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course 57 min ago
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham' 26 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
26 min ago