Grand jury gets evidence on Eversole
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- 13 Undercover has learned that a federal grand jury is now hearing evidence against the veteran county commissioner Jerry Eversole.
Last week Eversole shocked even his own lawyer when he admitted the feds could make a criminal case against him. We've learned the investigation is farther along than we thought.
We've learned among those subpoenaed to testify is Mike Surface. We have exclusive video last January of Surface in handcuffs after being indicted on corruption charges which he denies.
Surface is the former county building official who cut a huge real estate deal with county commissioners just months after leaving government. For years he was chairman of the powerful sports corporation which gave out contracts at Reliant Stadium.
Hermes Architects got virtually all of the architecture contracts and the firm and its founder Leroy Hermes were also involved in some of the real estate deals Surface had with Harris County.
During our investigation of Jerry Eversole's work habits last year, his appointment calendar showed Surface and Leroy Hermes were often part of his usual foursome.
We know the feds are investigating allegations Eversole accepted gifts from county contractors. We know his house was designed by Leroy Hermes, the founder of Hermes Architects. Neither man will say how much was paid.
Sources say the feds are also interested in donations contractors made to Eversole's charity golf tournament for leukemia. Much of the money comes from companies doing business with Harris County.
Golf tournament chairman Jon Strange says that the tourney participants are friends of Eversole's and being a friend of his doesn't help to get government contracts.
Last week Eversole told the Houston Chronicle that he wouldn't be surprised to be indicted, "that's why I say my days are numbered. There's no doubt about that."
We are told the grand jury will be hearing testimony through sometime next month. Well stay on top of it.
13 undercover, wayne dolcefino
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- River Oaks residents fighting to stop office building 32 min ago
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Rice U police officers cleared of wrongdoing in man's arrest 33 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- NJ honor student who sued parents returns home 38 min ago
- Nutrition and supplement maker Herbalife facing FTC intquiry 38 min ago