Officials react to request for criminal investigation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- County leaders are reacting to the Port of Houston reportedly asking the district attorney to launch a criminal investigation into the port's dealings. It comes after an extensive 13 Undercover investigation.The county attorney's office has opened its own investigation. In the meantime, the port chairman and president have written a letter to District Attorney Pat Lykos asking that the DA's office investigate the allegations against them. That letter reads in part, "We firmly believe that the Port Authority and the people who work for it conduct their business honorably and lawfully. However, in recent days we have heard claims that the Port of Houston Authority and some of its public officials and staff have not acted in full compliance with state law."
This letter follows a probe by13 Undercover. In that report, questions arose about Port President Alec Dreyer's use of the organization's tour vessel for a private party, and possibly conflicts of interest between Port Chairman Jim Edmonds and AECOM, a company that does business with the port.
This morning I asked Assistant County Attorney Terry O'Rourke his thoughts on the port leadership's letter to the DA's office.
He said, "I believe it's very good. I really, sincerely appreciate when people come in who are under investigation with full cooperation. That's what I hope we're getting."
In response to the requested investigation, the Harris County DA's office said, "We cannot confirm or deny a criminal investigation until the point when, and if, a criminal charge is filed."
In the meantime, two port commissioners have asked that Dreyer's employment with the port be placed on a May 24th agenda of their own commission meeting.
13 undercover, sonia azad
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 2 min ago
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 1 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette' 3 min ago
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 45 min ago
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 4 min ago
- Information on price tags decoded
19 min ago