Officials react to request for criminal investigation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- County leaders are reacting to the Port of Houston reportedly asking the district attorney to launch a criminal investigation into the port's dealings. It comes after an extensive 13 Undercover investigation.The county attorney's office has opened its own investigation. In the meantime, the port chairman and president have written a letter to District Attorney Pat Lykos asking that the DA's office investigate the allegations against them. That letter reads in part, "We firmly believe that the Port Authority and the people who work for it conduct their business honorably and lawfully. However, in recent days we have heard claims that the Port of Houston Authority and some of its public officials and staff have not acted in full compliance with state law."
This letter follows a probe by13 Undercover. In that report, questions arose about Port President Alec Dreyer's use of the organization's tour vessel for a private party, and possibly conflicts of interest between Port Chairman Jim Edmonds and AECOM, a company that does business with the port.
This morning I asked Assistant County Attorney Terry O'Rourke his thoughts on the port leadership's letter to the DA's office.
He said, "I believe it's very good. I really, sincerely appreciate when people come in who are under investigation with full cooperation. That's what I hope we're getting."
In response to the requested investigation, the Harris County DA's office said, "We cannot confirm or deny a criminal investigation until the point when, and if, a criminal charge is filed."
In the meantime, two port commissioners have asked that Dreyer's employment with the port be placed on a May 24th agenda of their own commission meeting.
13 undercover, sonia azad
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security 5 min ago
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal 27 min ago
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John...
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 32 min ago
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20 8 min ago
- Sleeping girl killed after car drives into home
- Police: Man pelted woman at egg decorating party
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck