Federal judge rejects Liberty County judge's plea deal
BEAUMONT, TX (KTRK) -- We have a major update in a story broken by 13 Undercover. A federal judge in Beaumont rejected a plea agreement between the US government and the former Liberty County judge.
You'll remember Phil Fitzgerald was named in a 27-count indictment after 13 Undercover helped expose details of an alleged bribery-kickback scheme involving a Hurricane Ike debris contract.
In October, Fitzgerald pleaded guilty to a felony with the understanding he would serve 36 months probation and pay a $75,000 fine.
On Friday, in a rare move, the judge in the case rejected that plea deal, likely sending the case to trial.
You can read much more about this in the Cleveland Advocate, our Houston Community Newspaper partner online. We want to thank them for their help in reporting this story.
- Suspect in wreck that killed sergeant goes to court
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab burglary
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Houston Super Bowl committee makes pitch in Boston
- Dreamliner returns to skies today with flight from Houston 42 min ago
- Man injured after driving lesson gone wrong
- Two die in apparent murder-suicide in west Houston
- 13 Things to Know for Monday 41 min ago
- HISD security officer goes before judge today
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
- One dies, another injured in head-on accident
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos